This is a fun appetizer, compliments of Better Homes and Gardens, that can be made ahead either hours or even a day before you need it. Typically I’ve used the smoked Gouda option and haven’t tried the other two. There have been times when I’ve not had enough time to make a ‘cheese ball’, so have made this into a spread.
Which just means that I put it into a container for later use.
I hope you enjoy this – it’s really yummy!
- 2 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 2 cups finely shredded smoked cheddar, Swiss, or Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons steak sauce
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts, toasted
- Let cream cheese, shredded cheese, and butter stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add milk and steak sauce; beat until fluffy. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Shape mixture into a ball; roll in nuts. Let stand for 15 minutes. Serve with crackers. Makes 3-1/2 cups spread (56, 1-tablespoon servings).